Friday, June 29, 2007

still in the u.s.

and it begins. As of right now, I have an acceptance letter, a list of things I need to do, a confirmation from the directors of education for the Orleans - Tours academie, and a confirmation from them that I will be teaching in 3 different schools in the city of Tours. I've had everything sent to me in both English and French, and I'm learning that banking terminology, governmental lingo, and legal vocabulary are not part of my own vocabulary, so I'm already learning. As of right now, I need to get a visa, translation of my birth certificate (can I do that myself??? I don't know), money, tickets, and start eyeing places to live. This means a trip to the consulate in Boston. Yehaw. When I get there, I need to get my carte de sejour, open a bank account, and get some housing.

Everyone's been asking if I'm excited or not. I'd say I am excited, I'm nervous at the same time, and I'm trying to figure out how to stretch my dollar there... or Euro... whatever.

It's fun researching the city, and the weather, and the hot spots to hit up when I'm there. It's quite different than the camp leader/store clerk life I'm living at this moment... but hey, as a wise woman once said "It's always an adventure."

keep you all posted.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very exciting and I'm just testing this to see if it works. We can't wait to visit Hils in France !! Linda

Chrysal's Adventures said...

that is a wise woman. i like the way she thinks...

she also has something else to say... come get your butt over here so we can have some adventures.

im excited for you parky!

izzyizzy said...

bring your social security card to the consulate. bring every form of id y0ou can find. those people suck and will turn you away in a second if oyu don't have it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Hilary!!! We have never met, but I have heard all about you! My mom is Aunt Carole. So excited that this news has trickled down thru the family ranks. You will love it, the Loire valley is beautiful, maybe you can find a castle to rent ;-)

La bonne chance et les voyages heureux!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if your mother ever told you (or if she even knows this)-- one of my mother's cousins, Jerry Klein, did geneological research--the grandmother of my grandmother (and your mother and Laurie as well) was French. The records show she was from Marseille, but that might have just been the port from which she left France for the United States. She emigrated in the 1840's I believe. So you can let your inner Frenchwoman come out! Joie de vivre!